All riding members are either certified NJ EMTs or Paramedics. Through the years, many of our volunteers have moved on to valuable and rewarding careers, using their EMS background as an excellent foundation. These careers include, but are not limited to: police dispatchers, police officers and police superiors; a local Chief of Police; numerous career EMTs and EMT Instructors; paramedics, nurses, doctors and other allied health personnel; and firefighters. Many of these dedicated members continued volunteering for the Corps while juggling these full-time emergency service careers. That display of dedication is what our Corps is all about and why our success continues.
Our EMTs serve the city of Hackensack by providing life-saving response to medical emergencies. You can be an EMT! Any currently certified NJ EMT-B or Paramedic may apply for volunteer membership. If you would like to become an EMT, please refer to the information HERE.
Experience: Volunteers work closely with law enforcement, fire and rescue teams, paramedics, and hospital staff. Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corps is one of the leading volunteer EMS organizations in New Jersey. A high call volume and a wide array of emergencies allows volunteer EMTs to gain great experience, plus the opportunity to practice and hone BLS skills in a supportive environment.
The Corps also provides Emergency Medical Standby to many special events and large regional emergencies. These have included:
- Sporting events at MetLife Stadium, including NFL Games, Super Bowl XLVIII and the 1994 FIFA World Cup
- Concerts at MetLife Stadium, including Beyonce, One Direction and Electric Daisy Carnival
- EMS Standby in Manhattan and The Bronx during inclement weather
- EMS Standby for the Miracle on The Hudson, 9-11 and Hurricane Sandy
Education: The Corps provides free ongoing education for its members, including CEU courses.
Insurance: Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc. provides all active members with worker’s compensation style insurance coverage in case of duty related illness or injury.
Immunizations: In order to provide a safer environment, Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc. offers Hepatitis B Vaccinations, annual tuberculosis testing, and flu vaccines at no cost to volunteers.
|William Pinkerton||Deputy Chief|
Board of Trustees:
|Kevin Cruz-Cortes||John Knapp*||Amanda Spethmann|
|John deJesus||Fiorela Leal Blanco||Chelsea Spethmann|
|Lisa DiMartino||Frank Malanga||Ron Spethmann, MICP‡|
|Stephanie Dojer||Alex Martinho||Joseph Stickles|
|Zack Feldman||Claudia Martins||Rory Sutherland|
|Frank Garrett*||Johanna Peralta||Nick Tsiskakis|
|Baruch Jaffe‡||Alan Pereira||Tiffany Villagren|
|Kelly Jurek||Rebeka Rodas||Silvio Zapata‡|
*Life Member ‡Reserve EMT
|Victor Campbell, NRP, MICP|
|Luke Koszela, NRP, MICP|
Inactive Life Members:
|Clifford Barnes||Dr. Winston Johnson†||Bernard R Mohring III†|
|Donald Bell||Christopher Kusielewicz||Carmen Polifronio|
|William Benech||William Leaver||Arial Rivera-Pinto|
|Michael Cherubini||Donald Lineaweaver†||Fred Rehrel|
|Edwin Cohen||Dennis Lonagan†||Robert Roux|
|Lenard Cohen||Leigh Maroth||William Schaum|
|John Connelly||Reuven Maroth||Clifford Spring†|
|George Cotte||Michele McHale-Sharko||Stephan Topoleski|
|Jonathan Dailey, Sr.||William McFarlane||Michael J. Ward|
|Obed Fountoukis†||Robert McIntyre||William Yanette|
|Frank Gillen||Kenneth Mele||Emil Yannetti†|
|Fredrick Hendricks||John Mendieta||Joseph Zisa|
|Brian Hoehl||Herbert Meyers Jr.|
Become An EMT
Are you a New Jersey certified EMT? To participate in patient care with our Ambulance Corps, you must be a New Jersey certified emergency medical technician. You can learn more about training opportunities and register for school at the following site:
- Bergen County Technical School
EMS Training Center, Paramus
East 281 Pascack Road
Paramus, NJ 07652
If you are an EMT and would like to join our Corps, please begin the application process HERE.
If you would like more information, please email us HERE.
Have you read the important information on our Membership page? The Corps relies on volunteers, and we are always looking to welcome new members. Outlined here are the steps to become an EMT with Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc.
1. Become an EMT! If you are already an EMT, you may apply for membership now. If you are not an EMT but would like to become one, please review the information HERE. Do not apply to join the Corps if you are not yet certified.
2. Contact Us. Use the form below to let us know that you would like to join the Corps. You will then be sent a link to the full membership application. Please know that we will still need to meet you in person to obtain signature authorization for a full police background check.
3. Interview with the Chief of the Corps. This will be scheduled upon receipt of your application.
4. Submit required documents. We must have your original EMT Certification, CPR Certification and Driver License to photocopy at your interview. Do not bring photocopies!
5. Sign for a criminal and motor vehicle background check. This is required to ride.
6. Choose a shift. Welcome to Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc! Shifts are overnight (each day of the week) and daytime (Saturday and Sunday).
If you are ready, please begin the application process: